Te Manawa ō Ōwhatiura trial

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link

The Te Manawa ō Owhatiura trial aims to create child-friendly streets that allow all people to move safely around our community. The trial project is the first of it's kind in Rotorua, and will change the way people drive, walk, bike or scooter through the area on their way to school, work, or the Whakarewarewa Forest.

Tell us about your experience of the trial project, by taking part in the survey. We want to know what parts of the design you think are working well, and what parts could be improved. Adjustments will be made to the design during the trial period, based on community feedback. You can also place feedback by emailing cycling@rotorualc.nz. See any project updates or adjustments to the trial layout here.

A working group consisting of students, staff and parents from Lynmore Primary School, local residents, members of Tatau Pounamu and Rotorua Cycle Action and the New Zealand Police are leading this mahi. Rotorua Lakes Council are supporting the working group to manage the project.

Project funding

90% of the project costs are funded by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency’s Innovating Streets for People fund, with Rotorua Lakes Council funding the remaining 10%. The project is estimated to be around $100,000.

Find out more

To stay in the loop you can join the Te Manawa o Ōwhatiura Facebook group. It’s an open forum where locals can share suggestions, ideas and post pictures. You’ll also receive invitations to upcoming workshops and notifications to participate in surveys. You can also see updates about the project on Rotorua Lakes Council's website and Facebook page, or by signing up to Rotorua Lakes Council’s e-panui (e-newsletter). You can find out more about Waka Kotahi's ‘Innovating Streets for People’ fund, here.

The Te Manawa ō Owhatiura trial aims to create child-friendly streets that allow all people to move safely around our community. The trial project is the first of it's kind in Rotorua, and will change the way people drive, walk, bike or scooter through the area on their way to school, work, or the Whakarewarewa Forest.

Tell us about your experience of the trial project, by taking part in the survey. We want to know what parts of the design you think are working well, and what parts could be improved. Adjustments will be made to the design during the trial period, based on community feedback. You can also place feedback by emailing cycling@rotorualc.nz. See any project updates or adjustments to the trial layout here.

A working group consisting of students, staff and parents from Lynmore Primary School, local residents, members of Tatau Pounamu and Rotorua Cycle Action and the New Zealand Police are leading this mahi. Rotorua Lakes Council are supporting the working group to manage the project.

Project funding

90% of the project costs are funded by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency’s Innovating Streets for People fund, with Rotorua Lakes Council funding the remaining 10%. The project is estimated to be around $100,000.

Find out more

To stay in the loop you can join the Te Manawa o Ōwhatiura Facebook group. It’s an open forum where locals can share suggestions, ideas and post pictures. You’ll also receive invitations to upcoming workshops and notifications to participate in surveys. You can also see updates about the project on Rotorua Lakes Council's website and Facebook page, or by signing up to Rotorua Lakes Council’s e-panui (e-newsletter). You can find out more about Waka Kotahi's ‘Innovating Streets for People’ fund, here.

  • CLOSED: The design survey has finished, and community feedback has been used to create a concept design of the trial.

    The Ōwhatiura community identified key issues that they felt were affecting the safety of tamariki and their whanāu when walking and biking to school. 

    This included a need for more safe crossings, improved visibility of drivers and pedestrians, reduced driver speeds and traffic congestion, and to create a safer space outside Lynmore Primary School’s front gate.


    From these key issues, we have sectioned the survey into four parts:

    1. Owhatiura Drive

    2. Larcy Road

    3. Iles Road

    4. Other ideas


    These questions are to help us design a draft design plan for the trial, based on the community’s feedback.

    If you would like to give further feedback on design ideas there is room at the end to do so. 




    Take Survey
    Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link
  • Feedback has now closed - we use this feedback to shape our application and keep the community informed of the next steps

    Feedback on this survey has now closed. 

    This feedback was used to shape our application and keep the community informed of the next steps.


    For information on the application click here

    As someone who lives in the area it is important that you submit your feedback. The application will only be made with community support. Whether the initiative then happens is dependent on the success of the funding application. 

    The deadline for feedback is Sunday 28 June 2020.

    If the application to the ‘Innovating Streets for People’ pilot fund is successful, there will be further opportunities for you to be involved. Please let us know if you would like to be involved in future workshops when you submit your feedback.


    Take Survey
    Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link
Page last updated: 03 December 2021, 14:29