Community Rep Positions - Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve Committee
The Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve Committee is looking for two passionate community members to help guide the management and development of the reserve.
The roles are voluntary and their purpose is to represent the interests of the wider Rotorua community when it comes to the future of Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve.
Applicants can live outside of the Eastside area but must have an established and ongoing association with the reserve, the eastern suburbs of Rotorua and its communities.
The operation of the Committee will be guided by a Terms of Reference that clearly set out the Committee’s roles, responsibilities, operations and tenure and finalising these will be one of the first actions for the Committee.
Rotorua Lakes Council will continue to undertake the operational management of the reserve.
Through the development of the Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve Management Plan it was identified that there was strong community support for enabling greater iwi and community involvement in the future decision making for Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve though the establishment of a Reserve Committee.
The role of the Committee is to manage the reserve in accordance with the Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve Management Plan and the provisions of the Reserves Act 1977.
The Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve Committee will be comprised of six people as follows:
- 3x representatives from Ngāti Uenukukōpako and Ngāti Te Roro o te Rangi;
- 3x community representatives, including one Councillor or Committee member appointed by the Mayor.
The purpose of the community representative roles is to represent the interests of the wider Rotorua community in the ongoing use, management and development of the Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead implementation of the Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve Management Plan including making recommendations on the priority of actions to be undertaken;
- Consider and make recommendations in response to requests from the community to undertake activity on the reserve, in line with the principles and policies contained in the Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve Management Plan;
- Advocate in the best interests of the community with regards to the ongoing use, management and development of the Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve.
Knowledge and Skills
- Established and ongoing association with Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve, the eastern suburbs of Rotorua and its communities
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Positive and enthusiastic
- Excellent organisational skills
- Previous experience participating on a community-based committee
- An understanding of bi-culturalism and the Te Tiriti o Waitangi/Treaty of Waitangi
To speak to someone about these positions phone council on 07 348 4199 (8am -5pm weekdays).
A copy of the Waikawau/Hannahs Bay Reserve Management Plan can be found here
To apply please send your CV and cover letter to:
Recreation and Open Spaces Manager
Rotorua Lakes Council
1061 Haupapa Street
Or via email to email@example.com
Applications close Monday 2 August 2021.