Where does our treated wastewater currently go?
Currently, treated wastewater from Rotorua's wastewater treatment plant is discharged into the Whakarewarewa Forest via a spray irrigation system
- 19 to 20,000 cubic metres of treated wastewater per day
- Sprayed over a number of irrigation blocks with approximate area of 400 hectares
- Blocks are sprayed for 2 to 3 hours per day
- Contains total 40 tonnes Nitrogen per year
- Contains 19 tonnes Phosphorous per year
- Contains pathogens (E-coli bacteria and viruses)