The further submission and Plan Change Process
Make a further submission
The further submissions period is open from 5 November to 18 November 2022.
Who can make a further submission?
The people who can make a further submissions are limited to:
- any person representing a relevant aspect of the public interest;
- any person that has an interest in the proposed plan change greater than the interest that the general public has; and
- the local authority itself.
Further submissions must be received by Council by 18 November 2022.
What can a further submission address?
A further submission must be limited to a matter in support of, or in opposition to, an initial submission.
About the further submission process
If you are unsure whether you can make a further submission, talk to council staff first as they may be able to provide some guidance. If you are still unsure, or have questions about the advice from council staff then you need to talk to a lawyer or resource management specialist.
A copy of your further submission must be provided to the original submitter within 5 working days of the submission being lodged with Council. You must email/post a copy of this further submission to the person / organisation that you are commenting on - contact details can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the process and guidance on making a further submission, try the Ministry for the Environment website.
Things to consider when making a submission
The following tips are useful when making submissions:
- Make clear and easy-to-read points
- Include your contact details
- Identify whether you wish to speak at the hearing or not
- State the submission reference of the original submission that you are commenting on
- State who made the submission that you are commenting on.
- Clearly indicate which parts of the original submission you are commenting on.
- Identify if you support or oppose the point in the original submission.
- Provide reasons for your views and clarify whether you seek that the whole part or part of the submission is to be allowed/disallowed.
Council has included a further submission template which can be downloaded (Form 6 - Clause 8 of First Schedule Resource Management Act 1991) to assist in making your submission.
Your submission should not include any issues not relevant to the plan change, as these will not be able to be considered by Council when making its decision. Please note, your submission, including your personal information, will be publicly available as part of the decision-making process.
If you have made a submission on other housing or plan change matters in the past, these can’t be used for reference on the Housing for Everyone – Plan Change 9. You need to make a new submission.
Where to send your submission
Submissions must be lodged in typing/writing and either:
- submitted via Let’s Talk | Kōrero mai
- emailed to email@example.com
- delivered to council customer services at 1061 Haupapa Street, Rotorua, 3010
- posted to the address below:
Manager, Planning & Development Solutions
Rotorua Lakes Council
Freepost Authority Number 370
Private Bag 3029
Rotorua Mail Centre
If you have any questions about the further submissions process, please contact customer services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friend of Submitter
The Ministry for the Environment (MfE) has provided funding to appoint an independent ‘Friend of Submitter’ to help people have their say. Belinda Messenger has been appointed to this role. Belinda is a qualified, fully independent planner, who was not involved in developing Rotorua’s Housing for Everyone - Plan Change 9.
Belinda can advise people who don’t have professional assistance on the process for lodging submissions, how they can present their views, and the steps after a submission is lodged. However, please note, it is not the role of the Friend of Submitter to advise on the merits of the plan changes, or to write a submission.
The FOS Service is a free service that is available Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm
Friend of submitter contact details:
Name: Belinda Messenger